Publishing an Adxstudio Portal to Azure Web Apps
Publishing to an Azure Web App is an excellent deployment option for Adxstudio Portals that will allow your application to scale with your business.
The following instructions will help you set up a Portal in Azure Web Apps using the out-of-box Publish feature in Visual Studio 2013. You will need an active Azure subscription to accomplish this.
If you have not already installed Adxstudio Portals for Microsoft Dynamics 2013/2015 please refer to our installation instructions.
- Open Visual Studio 2013
- Select File > Open > Project/Solution...
- Browse to the Samples folder of the Adxstudio Portals installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adxstudio\XrmPortals\<version>\Samples) and select the AdxstudioPortals.sln file.
- In Solution Explorer, right-click on MasterPortal and select Publish...
- In the Publish Web window, select Microsoft Azure Website.
- Enter the credentials of a Microsoft Account that has admin access to your Azure subscription and then select New...
- Enter a unique site name, select a region (this should be as close as possible to your CRM location to ensure minimal latency), leave the database server option set to no database and then click Create.
- Your connection info will now be set.
- Select the Settings tab and expand the File Publish Options section. Ensure that the three options shown below are all selected. This isn't necessarily important for the first time you publish, but you will want to remember these settings if you publish new versions of the Portal to this deployment in the future. Removing additional files will ensure no stale files are left in your Azure Web App. Excluding files from the App_Data folder will ensure that the settings.xml file that will contain your CRM connection info isn't accidentally overwritten at some point in the future.
- Click Publish.
- The Output window in VS2013 will track the publishing task that is happening. By default, VS2013 will then open your Azure Website in a new browser tab once the publishing task has completed.
- You will now be presented with our Connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM wizard. Enter the requested connection details for your CRM and click the Check Connection button. The wizard will then connect to your CRM and populate the Adxstudio Portals Website drop-down list with any websites present in your CRM. Select the desired website and click Apply.
- The wizard (as of 7.0.0018) will create the necessary website bindings in your CRM and you will be presented the home page of your site.
You may receive an Adxstudio Portals license screen on the initial load. If you haven't done so already, ensure your Adxstudio License key is installed in your CRM. Without it, your Portal website will present this nag screen every thirty minutes. Your site will still function as expected otherwise. Click here for our instruction on installing your license key.